Mushroom Cream Soup With Walnut Lentil Pate Crostini !
Mushroom Cream Soup With Walnut Lentil Pate Crostini is a make over of the classic recipe that you grew up with as a kid.
The key to getting enough vitamins and minerals in the diet is to eat a colorful variety of fruits and vegetables. In many cases, a food that lacks color also lacks necessary nutrients, but edible mushrooms, which are commonly white, prove quite the contrary.
Cream of mushroom soup is one of those entities that will always bring me back to my childhood.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Serving Size: 1 ¾ cup soup and 3 crostini with ¼ cup pate
- 3 cloves garlic, divided
- 1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ¾ cup canned lentils, drained
- ½ cup toasted walnuts
- 1/3 cup chopped chives, divided
- 2 tablespoons truffle oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cups sliced mushrooms, any variety or mixed
- ½ teaspoon dry thyme
- ¼ cup dry sherry
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups vegetable broth, such as Imagine no chicken
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 12 slices baguette, preferably whole-grain, toasted
Instructions for Mushroom Cream Soup With Walnut Lentil Pate Crostini :
- Mince ½ clove garlic. Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt and mash into a paste with the side of a chefs knife. Transfer the paste to a food processor or mini-prep and add lentils, walnuts, 1 tablespoon chives, 2 teaspoons truffle oil, vinegar, 1 tablespoon chives and process to combine.
- Finely chop the remaining 2 ½ cloves garlic. Melt butter in a large heavy-bottomed soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and the remaining garlic and cook, stirring until starting to brown and soften, 4 to 6 minutes. Add mushrooms, thyme and the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and cook stirring often, until the mushrooms have released their juices and the juices have evaporated, 5 to 7 minutes. Add sherry and rosemary, bring to a simmer and let sherry evaporate until almost completely dry, 30 seconds to 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over the vegetable mixture and stir to coat. Add broth, increase heat to high and bring to a simmer, stirring often. Add milk and return to a simmer, stirring often. Remove from the heat, stir in chives.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Drizzle the remaining 4 teaspoons truffle oil over the soup, dividing evenly. Spread the lentil walnut pate over the baguette and serve with the soup.